This Master aims to train professionals in information security management.
It was born out of a partnership between the Public Research Center Henri Tudor in Luxembourg and the University of Luxembourg
DIRECTION DES ETUDES
Prof. Yves Le Traon
University of Luxembourg
Professor in Computer Science - Systems and Software Reliability
Prof. Eric Dubois
Public Research Centre Henri Tudor
Director of Service Science and Innovation department
Personal report by a graduate - Promotion 1 (2006-2008) :
What did you get out of this Master’s degree?
Even though I have been active in the information security business for more than 15 years, I didn’t hesitate for a second when I was offered to enrol in the CISO MASTER programme.
It was an excellent opportunity for me to complete and update my knowledge in the field, but also – and particularly – being able to find where I stand regarding an RSSI career.
Indeed, like many other professions in Luxembourg, RSSI is “self-made”, without real benchmarks regarding the best techniques in the field. An advantage of the MASTER is that it looks at all skills necessary for the practical side of the profession, and there are many … The courses are eclectic, from the very technical to the basics of accounting. At the same time you realise that all of them, without exception, are important in the daily mission of a CISO. And, even if you don’t become an expert in each domain, this training will allow you to know where to find the information you need fast It’s actually people from this field that teach the classes and give them their pragmatic aspect.
Advice for candidates interested in the master programme?
In order to follow this programme you must invest a great amount of time and energy but the result is worth the trouble. Whether you’re an experienced CISO or not, it allows you to assert yourself in this fascinating profession.
The training is suitable for professionals from all sectors, who are currently in charge of information security or future players in this field. They may also be looking for solutions in information security and wish to do this through a full and structured training with a university degree once achieved.
This Master addresses, for example:
- Business managers, anxious to achieve required job skills and practices through a specialisation in information security management systems;
- Information security account managers of functional or business departments of large companies, SMEs / SMIs or administrations. They need to bridge the gap between requirements and security policies, directions and effective deployments on the field;
- Information security officers or computer science engineers with a solid technical background who want additional training and a degree of reference in safety management information systems;
- Professionals specialised in information security who wish to update their skills and gain a managerial dimension, that is systematic, structured and to the point.
- Other professionals looking for specialisation in information security issues such as lawyers, cyber-police, privacy protection, compliance officers, functional architects, etc.
The Master's diploma in "Information Systems Security Management" is delivered by the University of Luxembourg, in application of the rules of Bologna.
Students who successfully complete this Master will be able to :
- Select information, tools, methods and core competencies to maintain a professional level when practicing the art of information security management ;
- Deduce and analyse current relevant managerial criteria in information security, in general and tailored for one company ;
- Identify relevant sources and interpret the descriptive information in the context of one's company regarding legal, organisational and managerial aspects ;
- Define, classify and list the necessary elements for the design of security solutions integrating at the same time management and technology. Plan, design and implement these solutions ;
- Evaluate, criticise and judge an existing security situation and proposed solutions. Validate, recommend and implement improvements ;
- List the specific features of human risk and communication in the field of information security. Analyse and deduce the elements of solutions to be implemented.
- MODULE 1: Understanding organisations and management
- MODULE 2: Regulatory frameworks
- MODULE 3: Information Security Management
- MODULE 4: Technical aspects
- MODULE 5: Human aspects
- MODULE 6 : Professional part (Professional project)
The programme of the Master is evaluated and updated by a scientific committee, which is composed of all the teachers that give classes and coordinators in different areas. This programme is supported and strengthened by two professional associations : the CLUSIL (CLUb de la Sécurité de l'Information à Luxembourg) and the CPSI (Collège des Professionnels de la Sécurité de l'Information du Luxembourg).